Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Bubble Eclairs

When I was a small child, before my mother had so many children, she used to make eclairs and cream puffs.  I was interested and curious to see what it was like to bake eclairs myself for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe.  I especially wondered about the filling, if I could recreate the yellow filling that I remember.

I followed the recipe as written, and it wasn't that hard.  I spooned out 12 eclairs and baked as directed.  My oven light only turns on when I open the oven door, so I wasn't able to watch the eclairs rise.  At the end of the baking time they were all puffed up, but the ones in the centre of the pan fell within a minute of leaving the oven.

After reading about the options for filling the eclairs I chose to make pastry cream.  I think this is what my mother put in her eclairs.  The milk boiled over and putting the cream through a sieve was also pretty messy, but otherwise everything worked fine.

In the end these eclairs were very much like what I remembered from my childhood.




5 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be able to create that childhood memory. It's been years and I'm still chasing my grandmothers peach jam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they turned out as you remembered them. They must have been delicious with the pastry cream filling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite recipes from my childhood too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice family memories. I am glad that you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can recreate a childhood memory, you know you're a good baker! And I completely identify with the fallen eclairs -- I had that too, I think the solution is just to bake them longer than we think is good. I'm going to do this again on a rewind Tuesday to see if I'm right!

    ReplyDelete