Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Crispy-Topped Brown Sugar Bars

A brown sugar/butter/flour base topped with melted bittersweet chocolate and walnuts.  Dorie's recipe suggests topping with caramelized rice krispies, but I wanted to freeze most of these and chose walnuts instead.  Based on other baker's comments I lowered the oven temperature to 350 and baked for only 15 minutes, leaving me with a crust that was very easy to cut, and so sweet.  These bars are more like candy.  So easy to make.  I hope to try them again with the caramelized rice krispies soon.

3 comments:

  1. The walnuts sound like a delicious option. But I do recommend the caramelized cereal topping if you make them again, it was the best part of the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walnuts, clever! Makes them healthier for sure, and a bit heartier too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your choice of adding walnuts sounds pretty good. If you do make these again, I agree with Zosia, the caramelized topping was the best part.

    ReplyDelete