Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Coffee Malteds

In her recipe for Coffee Malteds cookies Dorie Greenspan explains that she remembers drinking coffee malteds as a child.  When I was young I loved the flavor of coffee, especially coffee ice cream which remains my favorite.

We couldn't find a key ingredient in this recipe, unflavored malted milk powder.  Instead I baked these cookies using Ovaltine, a chocolate malted milk powder.  For the coffee flavor I used instant coffee.

The cookies turned out small and chewy, with a good mocha flavor.  The malt is a tiny hint in the background.  I think they'd be great topped with a bit of melted chocolate.

4 comments:

  1. I used Ovaltine too and it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting I thought I would be the only one who couldn't find the malt powder! Go Ovaltine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet the chocolate flavor was a pretty tasty addition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had trouble finding plain malted powder too. Took me 4 stores. Ovaltine was a great substitution.

    ReplyDelete