Thursday, December 29, 2016

Spiced Honey Cake

Spiced Honey Cake is Dorie Greenspan's version of pain d'epices, a French spice cake traditionally made with rye flour.  Dorie's recipe uses lavender, peppercorns (Sichuan, white, or black), ginger, and orange peel for spicing, and all purpose flour instead of rye.

I left out the lavender and used black peppercorns, fresh ginger, orange peel and local honey.

The batter was difficult to mix, much stiffer than muffin batter.  If I make this again I will try using less flour.

The recipe suggests adding dried cherries.  I went with the raisins that I had on hand.

The cake bakes at a low heat, 300 degrees, for 75 to 85 minutes.  I wrapped the finished baking in plastic and left it for several days before cutting a slice.  The flavor is strongly orange.  I could not taste the pepper or ginger.  As other bakers commented the cake is dry, and would likely be good toasted.

The great thing about this recipe is the number of variations possible.  I can see trying it again with tea, different spices, a stronger flavored honey, or other dried fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment