Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Streusel-Topped Rhubarb Lime Tart

Most of the time for these Tuesdays With Dorie baking projects I stick fairly closely to the recipe.  This week with the rhubarb lime tart I had to make a change because I really don't like lime.  I substituted orange zest and juice.  Also I left out the tart shell, making this a crisp rather than a tart.  And then I didn't have heavy cream and substituted plain Greek yogurt mixed with milk.

The dessert turned out well, though the orange flavor does over power the tartness of the rhubarb.  Dorie mentions this issue in her introduction to the recipe on page 160 of Baking Chez Moi.  "Rhubarb's tricky:  Mix it with too much sugar, and you mask its character; mix it with too little, and you risk letting its acidity run roughshod over your dessert."  More rhubarb, less orange zest, and a little less sugar might have given me the right taste balance.

I used 4 cups of rhubarb, just over 1 lb. in weight. The custard is light and holds the rhubarb nicely.  The streusel is delicious.  I wonder if cinnamon would be a nice addition.  All in all, a fun experiment.

3 comments:

  1. i was wondering if i could swap the cream for either greek yogurt or maybe mascarpone, both of which i have in the fridge (but no cream). glad to know it works! i like your crisp take on this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad all substitutions worked out. I am making this dessert this weekend and I hope everyone likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of the orange sub for the lime (though I loved the lime!). And thanks for the tip re the yoghurt!

    ReplyDelete